Your Garage Door’s Yearly Maintenance Needs
By: admin | May 6, 2014
Garage door maintenance is not exactly at the top of most peoples’ to-do lists. To ensure maximum life expectancy and overall safety, however, regular care is critical. Fortunately, addressing the needs of a garage door is not a complicated process. Taking the following measures only once per year will keep your garage door in prime working condition:
- Inspect the hardware. Tighten anything that has loosened due to repeated movements.
- Check the rollers. These tend to chip or crack over time. While you’re at it, take a look at all hinges, latches, and roller tracks.
- Search for broken strands on the lift cable. Scrub away residue with a soft-bristled brush if necessary.
- Lubricate the mechanism. Many screw mechanisms do not require lubrication, so it is best to check the owner’s manual to be sure. Chain mechanisms do require grease, which makes for a smoother, quieter door. Don’t forget to oil the springs too! Spray-on products are the least messy.
- Check the weatherstripping around the edges of the door. Adjust and replace as needed.
- If the door is wood, be sure it is sealed or painted.
- Contact an expert. If you have any doubts about the condition of your garage door, many experienced and knowledgeable professionals offer annual maintenance services. In addition to the steps listed above, these generally include door alignment and an inspection of the tension spring mounting pad. Your garage door opener can be tested as well – force sensitivity, safety reverse features, wiring and other electrical components will be assessed.
Garage doors undergo an incredible amount of wear and tear –most will be opened and closed more than 1000 times per year! This is why annual maintenance is essential. Keep in mind that while garage door upkeep can be a do-it-yourself project, any broken or deteriorated parts should be replaced by an expert. Contact us to learn more about necessary garage door care.
Universal Garage Door Services
2150 South 1300 East, Suite 500
Salt Lake City, UT 84106